Mexico among the main exporters of cocoa powder and confectionery: Inegi

Mexico ranks first in world exports cocoa powder with added sugar or other sweetener in 2021 and fourth in exports confectionery, uncovered National Institute of Statistics and Geography (Inegi).

In addition export from chocolate and raw materials had an increase of 14.3% in 2022 compared to the previous year, while in the confectionery industry they grew by 25.7% year on year.

This is due to the fact that in 2021 and 2022 the production volume of the chocolate and confectionery industry reached a higher level than before. COVID-19 pandemic. In 2022 production this was 5% higher than in 2020.

To this should be added the fact that reserves Used in this sector, 73.8% were of domestic origin, while 26.2% were imported. This percentage is higher than in manufacturing, where only 54.7% are Mexicans.

A report jointly prepared with the National Association of Chocolate, Confectionery and Similar Products AC (ASCHOCO-CONFIMEX) shows that in 2021 USA It was the main destination for Mexican exports of chocolate and chocolate products: 97.8% of the total and worth $750.8 million.

The country was also the top destination for confectionery sales, accounting for 90.7% of the total, amounting to $791.2 million. They were located below: Nicaragua, Guatemala, Canada and Puerto Rico, among other things

In contrast, the US was also the main supplier to Mexico with a 57.2% share of the total, equivalent to $198.6 million. This was followed Canada, Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Ecuador, China, Malaysia and Spain.

Inegi also said that 28 thousand tons of cocoa will be produced in Mexico in 2021. The main subjects are Tabasco and Chiapas.

Similarly, the number of companies operating in this industry increased from 498 in 2018 to 534 in 2021, representing a 7.2% increase. In addition, the number of confectionery businesses rose from 3,032 to 3,127 from 2018 to 2021, reflecting a 3.1% growth.

Of the manufactured products, 10.7% was intended for intermediate demand (sold to other enterprises as raw materials), and the remaining 89.3% was for final demand.

Source: Aristegui Noticias

follow:
\