Killing of two Israeli settlers triggers retaliation

Dozens of Israeli settlers launched a violent retaliation in the north of the West Bank after two settlers were killed by a Palestinian gunman, setting fire to dozens of cars and homes. The city of Hawara was raided by dozens of residents of one of the illegal settlements in the area, who attacked Palestinian residents, killing one and injuring several.

As Le Monde reported, the violence would also reach nearby villages, and in one of them, right in Zaatara, Palestinian authorities would count the only victims ever. Many Palestinians were injured by stone throwing or iron axes, or after inhaling the fumes of tear gas, at least a hundred people in total, Hawara city councilor Sawfat Ozril reported. Palestinian property was also at the expense of this retaliation, dozens of cars and many buildings were set on fire, others destroyed, and many homes and shops razed.

Israel’s anger was triggered a few hours ago when two settlers were killed by close-range fire on two Palestinian citizens, two brothers, aged 20 and 22, as they were about to enter the city. According to some local eyewitnesses interviewed by the French newspaper Louis Imbert, the soldiers would accompany the elderly Palestinians to drive them away from the flames burning inside their homes, but moreover, they would not intervene to stop the fire by intervening. Violence would be heavily advertised on the internet throughout the day despite this raid.

In the hours before local number two Benazione Davidi appeared, the word “revenge” jumped from one social network to the other, saying “Hawara must be razed today…no pity.” Shortly before the retaliation, the Israeli regional council. This was followed by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s urging everyone not to “take justice into their own hands” and Bezalel, the main representative of settlers in the Israeli government. Smotrich, the finance minister and the leader of the Religious Zionist Party, urged the military to “shoot by all means, from helicopters to tanks” the Palestinians in Hawara.

Later that afternoon, on Highway 90 near Jericho in the Jordan Valley, a 25-year-old Israeli-American citizen was killed by a Palestinian in what Tel Aviv officials described as a “terrorist attack”. The armed Palestinian Islamic Jihad movement welcomed the attack, saying that “resistance operations continue and the enemy will pay for all their crimes”. “We condemn the horrific killing of two Israeli brothers near Nablus and the murder near Jericho of an Israeli, who we also know today as a US citizen,” said US State Department spokesman Ned Price. We also condemn the indiscriminate violence of settlers against Palestinian civilians,” he said.

This violence came just after the ceasefire between the two fronts, signed hours ago at the Aqaba summit, which Washington much wanted. The legacy of the meeting expresses on paper the will to “detenure tensions and prevent violence on the ground,” a desire not supported by what soon emerged in the West Bank. Among the outcomes of this summit, supported by the Egyptian and Jordanian governments, the Israelis and Palestinians declared their willingness to take a series of urgent actions to halt unilateral initiatives for a period ranging from three to six months. followed the green light from Israel to prevent any settlement from developing for at least six months. This marked the start of the deadliest year for Palestinians in the West Bank since 2000: nearly 60 people have died so far in clashes with the Israeli army.

Source: Today IT