Tiktok’s crazy new fashion: 13-year-old girl dies

Esra Haynes was the name of the thirteen-year-old girl who died after participating in one last deadly TikTok “challenge.” The teenager, who lives in Melbourne, Australia, died last March after inhaling a deodorant spray at a friend’s home to keep up with the social trend. The fumes from the deodorant caused cardiac arrest and the girl fell into a coma. After eight days of pharmacological treatment necessary to keep him alive, his parents – according to doctors – decided to unplug the machine because his brain was “inflicted irreparably damaged.”

What prompted Esra to inhale the deodorant spray was a challenge in Tiktok, a popular trend especially in the United States last March, which was renamed “chroming” by users. The challenge involves inhaling some toxic and artificial substances from products such as spray deodorants, but also paint, highlighters, felt-tip pens, perms, and the like. Vapors of these toxic substances cause hallucinations, euphoria, increased heart rate, impaired vision, and slurred speech. The point of the challenge is to deliberately cause these symptoms to give yourself a “high” for a few minutes. The problem is that the ingredients in these products often cause this type of effect, but can also lead to more serious consequences such as liver damage, kidney failure, and cardiac arrest.

Esra was at a friend’s house to sleep over the night she took the drugs. The two young people wanted to spend the night together to celebrate Esra’s appointment as assistant captain to the AFL women’s under-14 team. After spending a few hours together, the parents received a call from their friend’s mother explaining how the 13-year-old boy had a panic attack. Unfortunately, the situation escalated and the teenager suffered a heart attack and then fell into a coma. Eight days later, his family decided to make the difficult decision of pulling the plug that kept him alive.

Esra Haynes - Twitter photo 2

Parents have called on the Australian government and country to both inform about the risks of toxic substances found in products such as deodorants – to seek a reduction in the percentage of harmful substances – and to get more information on social media. During the Australian program “A Current Affair” the two called for the marketing of less toxic deodorants and the teaching of cardiac resuscitation in schools. They have also asked for social networking restrictions to be imposed on minors and very young people who too often unwittingly engage in such dangerous acts – in order to follow the fashion of the moment. The parents said, “We must inform, we must educate. We do not want such a tragedy to happen to anyone. No family has to put up with it, it is absolutely terrible.” In response to this horrific event, some supermarkets in Australia have started selling deodorant sprays behind razor-like locked display cases.

Source: Today IT

\