Police officer who shot 17-year-old Nahel was arrested, clashes broke out during parade

The French police officer, who shot 17-year-old Nahel for refusing to follow patrol orders during a roadside check, was detained on charges of manslaughter. This was announced by the Nanterre prosecutor’s office where the afternoon white march to demand justice for the boy’s death ended with clashes and violence. “The prosecution believes that the legal requirements for the use of weapons have not been met,” Prosecutor Pascal Prache said at a press conference. The march to commemorate Nahel, the young Moroccan and Algerian who was killed on Tuesday, started at around 14:00 with the slogans “Justice for Nahel” and “never again” from the Pablo Picasso housing complex.

The victim’s mother, who started the march in a van, wore a T-shirt that read “Justice for Nahel.” Activists chanted slogans such as “killer police”, “Justice for Nahel”, “The Republic is killing our children” around the vehicle. More than 6,000 demonstrators, holding a minute’s silence at the scene of the tragedy, left the Pablo-Picasso residential complex in the French city near Paris and reached Place Nelson-Mandela, where Nahel died. At the end of the march, the anger of the crowd erupted. Protesters set fire to many vehicles. Television footage showed protesters erecting roadblocks and throwing stones at police lines, with police responding with tear gas. At least one bank was looted. “Nahel’s Revenge” was written on the buildings and bus stops.

President Emmanuel Macron had previously held a crisis meeting with senior ministers over the gun attack. Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne rejected calls by some political opponents for a state of emergency to be declared. Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said that 40,000 police officers will be deployed across the country to quell the seemingly endless unrest; “The state’s response must be extremely harsh,” said Darmanin, from the northern city of Mons-en-Baroeul, where several town halls were set on fire. said. The incident sparked long-standing complaints about police brutality and systemic racism. suburban.

The unrest brought back memories of the 2005 riots that shook France for three weeks and forced then-President Jacques Chirac to declare a state of emergency. The wave of violence then broke out in the Paris suburb of Clichy-sous-Bois and spread across the country after two young men were electrocuted at a substation while hiding from the police. The two officers were acquitted in a lawsuit filed ten years later. A national police spokesman said Tuesday’s murder was the third deadliest gun attack in France during road arrests in 2023, compared to last year’s record of 13. There were three such murders in 2021 and two in 2020, according to a Reuters tally from 2017 that showed the majority of victims were of black or Arab descent.

Source: Today IT

\