Manhunt launched in South Africa after kidnapping of 6-year-old boy

Manhunt launched in South Africa after kidnapping of 6-year-old boy

South African authorities launched a manhunt on Wednesday after the early morning kidnapping of a 6-year-old boy on his way to school in a Cape Town suburb.

“Six suspects fled with the victim and have not yet been apprehended,” local police said in a statement, adding that an investigation, deemed “sensitive,” had been opened.

The boy, Shanawaaz Asghar, was abducted from outside his home in Kensington, a Cape suburb.

“He was going with his father, brother and sister to the car that was in the backyard in front of the house when he was kidnapped,” said a police source, quoted by Agence France-Presse.

So far the motive for the kidnapping is unknown.

South Africa has one of the highest crime rates in the world. According to police statistics, the number of kidnappings more than doubled in the first quarter of the year compared to the same period last year.

Source: TSF

\