Skip to content

Bringing you global stories from a neutral view

Sports

Barcelona Target Lautaro Martinez to Replace Lewandowski

Barcelona have made Inter Milan striker Lautaro Martinez their primary transfer target after failing to sign Julian Alvarez from Atletico Madrid.

Barcelona Target Lautaro Martinez to Replace Lewandowski

FC Barcelona have made Inter Milan striker Lautaro Martinez their primary transfer target as they seek a new central forward ahead of the upcoming season.

The Catalan club are turning their focus to the Argentina international after failing to secure Atletico Madrid forward Julian Alvarez. Barcelona have added Anthony Gordon, Karim Adeyemi, Jesse Bisiwu and Rodri to their squad this summer, believing the signings will help them win a third consecutive La Liga title and secure the Champions League for the first time since the 2014-15 season.

During that 2014-15 campaign, Barcelona relied on the prolific attacking trio of Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar. Current goalscoring responsibilities fall on Lamine Yamal and Raphinha, with new arrivals Gordon, Adeyemi and Bisiwu expected to operate primarily on the wings. Following the departure of Ferran Torres to Paris Saint-Germain and the expiration of Robert Lewandowski's contract, Barcelona are left without a recognised top-class central striker.

Atletico Madrid demand 500 million euro fee for Julian Alvarez

Barcelona spent several weeks attempting to sign Julian Alvarez from Atletico Madrid. However, the move has broken down as Atletico refuse to sell the forward, despite the player trying to force a transfer to Barcelona.

Atletico have stated that Barcelona must pay Alvarez's 500 million euro release clause in full for any deal to take place. Atletico manager Diego Simeone said that when a club owner speaks so categorically, the matter is closed, comparing the situation to a court ruling with no grounds for debate and describing the owner's statement as more than clear.

Alvarez was subsequently left out of the Atletico Madrid squad for their Wednesday match against Malaga.

Barcelona target Lautaro Martinez as striker priority

With the Alvarez move stalled, Barcelona are pursuing an alternative target in Argentina. According to journalist Gerard Romero, the club have identified Lautaro Martinez as their top priority and intend to direct all their resources toward securing his signature.

Martinez has played for Italian side Inter Milan since 2018 and serves as club captain. During his eight years with the Milan club, the forward has won three Serie A titles and finished as top scorer in the Italian top flight on two occasions.

Although football database Transfermarkt values the 2022 World Cup winner at 85 million euros, Barcelona president Joan Laporta and sporting director Deco are expected to face a higher asking price. Martinez played a key role for Argentina at this year's World Cup, scoring three goals, including the winning goal in the semi-final against England.

Hansi Flick options for La Liga opener against Elche

Barcelona manager Hansi Flick will begin the new domestic season without a specialist number nine when his side travel to face Elche in their opening La Liga fixture. Barcelona will then face Athletic Bilbao and Rayo Vallecano in the following days.

Speaking in an interview with Diari ARA about potential solutions in attack, 23-year-old midfielder Fermin Lopez said that Gordon could play as a central striker, alongside options such as Dani Olmo, Raphinha and himself.

Lopez explained that he previously played as a false nine in Barcelona's youth teams, describing the role as similar to his preferred position as an attacking midfielder. He added that while he can also feature on the left wing, he feels most comfortable playing in central attacking midfield.

Related

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *