Sydney Swans players face club sanctions over a late-night drinking session in Melbourne while Victoria Police investigate an alleged sexual assault at their hotel.
The Australian Football League club and governing body face mounting questions over whether any players involved in the police inquiries at the Pullman East Melbourne hotel should be stood down while investigations continue.
New details have emerged regarding the hours leading up to the alleged assault. According to a report by the Herald Sun, squad members returned to the hotel in several separate groups between 2:15am and 3:40am on Monday morning.
The Sydney Swans, based in Sydney, New South Wales, compete in Australia's top-tier AFL competition. The team was staying in Victoria following a 36-point victory against Essendon at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Sunday. The Pullman hotel is situated 200 metres from the stadium.
Witnesses reported seeing some players yelling on the street outside the venue. Player James Jordon reportedly arrived back at the hotel at around 2:15am, while Isaac Heeney returned with another group approximately 15 minutes later.
The women at the centre of the separate sexual assault allegations reportedly arrived at the hotel after 4:00am. Several hours later, at around 7:00am, two women were seen approaching hotel staff in a shared area of the property, demanding access to guest rooms.

According to overheard conversations, one woman told hotel staff that she had been touched and felt overwhelmed while surrounded by several men inside a room. A witness described one of the women as appearing hysterical and upset before running into the hotel toilets crying, prompting staff to contact police.
One of the women reportedly told hotel staff: "We have everything recorded of what those AFL players did to our friend in that room." Victoria Police officers subsequently arrived at the hotel and confirmed they were investigating a report of sexual assault.
Player questioning and Melbourne departure
Four Sydney players, Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, James Jordon, and Riley Bice, have been reported as having been questioned by police regarding the allegations. The manager of a fifth player denied that his client had been spoken to by authorities.
The five players reportedly chose to drive back from Melbourne to Sydney on Monday night in order to avoid media gathering at the airport. It is not suggested that any of the players are under investigation or involved in any wrongdoing, but only that they spoke to police regarding the alleged incident.

Swans head coach Dean Cox was also reportedly out drinking with coaching staff on Sunday night, returning to the team hotel sometime after midnight.

Off the field, Heeney is engaged to his long-time partner Steffanie Waters, while Warner is in a relationship with Alice Hughes. Neither partner has commented publicly on the ongoing investigation.

Club crisis talks and leadership statements
Shortly after 7:00am on Tuesday morning, coach Cox was questioned by television reporters as he arrived at Sydney Swans headquarters in Moore Park, Sydney, for emergency club talks.
Cox expressed deep disappointment over the unfolding events. "Obviously extremely disappointed with what's happened," Cox said. "I understand the questions and we'll update as we gather more information."
Swans captain Callum Mills arrived at the club's headquarters on Tuesday morning and remained tight-lipped when questioned by reporters outside the facility.
Mills declined to discuss the ongoing police matter. "I can't comment on it. We don't know the facts. It's as simple as that," Mills told reporters. "Sorry guys, thank you very much."
As of Tuesday morning, no players have been charged in connection with the investigation. Victoria Police confirmed that inquiries remain ongoing.

"Police spoke to a number of people at the hotel, however no one has been arrested or formally interviewed at this time," police said in an official statement.
AFL policies and upcoming fixtures
Unlike the National Rugby League, Australia's premier rugby league competition which enforces a mandatory no-fault stand-down policy for players charged with serious criminal offences, the AFL does not have a strict stand-down policy for sexual assault allegations.
Should the Sydney Swans decide to stand down any players independently, that decision is expected to become clear well before team selection is finalized later this week.
The Swans are scheduled to play North Melbourne at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday. Under AFL competition rules, Sydney must name an extended squad on Thursday evening, before cutting the roster to 23 players plus three emergencies on Friday.

Victorian Premier Ben Carroll spoke regarding the incident on Tuesday, expressing support for the alleged victim and highlighting victim services across the state.
"It is so important that every girl, woman, not only feels safe but is safe and knows that they are protected and that they can be safe going about their everyday lives," Carroll said on Tuesday.
"This is horrible what has been reported. It is under police investigation. But every young woman, young girl, every female deserves to be treated with respect and to be given the safety that they deserve," the Premier added. "At the state government, we have a lot of victim support services, and they will be available for any victim, including this person."

