Foreign Minister Penny Wong has summoned Israel's ambassador to Australia after the Israeli military decided not to pursue criminal charges over the drone strikes that killed Melbourne aid worker Zomi Frankcom in Gaza.
The April 2024 attack in central Gaza killed the 43-year-old alongside six other workers from the World Central Kitchen charity.
The Washington-based non-governmental organisation provides meals in the wake of natural disasters and conflicts. The convoy had been travelling in clearly marked vehicles after unloading food aid delivered by sea to the Palestinian enclave.
Israel later conceded its forces had mistakenly targeted the humanitarian convoy.

In a statement on Thursday, Wong accused Israel of failing to deliver justice for Frankcom's family and of falling short of the standards expected of a democratic nation.
The decision not to press charges was announced on World Humanitarian Day, an annual observance dedicated to aid workers who have lost their lives in the field.
"The Australian government learned of Israel's decision late last night, moments before it was announced, on World Humanitarian Day, which is especially insulting to Zomi's loved ones, humanitarians and all Australians," Wong said.
"Zomi represented the best of Australia. Her courage deserves to be celebrated. Her family deserves justice."
Military failures and findings
The deaths sparked international outrage and prompted calls for a thorough investigation into the conduct of the Israel Defence Forces.
The IDF reported that the deadly strikes resulted from serious procedural flaws, the misidentification of the aid vehicles and failures in military decision-making.
Several officers were disciplined following an internal investigation, but the military opted against criminal proceedings.
Wong said the lack of criminal charges did not meet community expectations.

"This decision falls far short of the accountability we expect," the foreign minister said in her statement.
"This is despite Israel Defence Forces admissions that the IDF strikes on Zomi and her colleagues' vehicles were the result of serious failures to follow IDF procedures, mistaken identification and errors in decision-making."
Demand for accountability
The Australian government had previously appointed Special Adviser Air Chief Marshal Mark Binskin to scrutinise the Israeli investigation into the strike.
Binskin, a former Chief of the Defence Force, was tasked with ensuring the process was transparent and rigorous. Wong noted that the special adviser agreed with the military findings regarding the tactical errors.
"This was confirmed by Special Adviser Air Chief Marshal Mark Binskin's report," Wong said.
The foreign minister argued that democratic nations must enforce the highest standards when their military operations result in civilian deaths.
"Democracies seek and accept higher standards," Wong said. "The Australian government will not stop pressing Israel for justice for Zomi and her colleagues."
Diplomatic objections
Wong confirmed she has directed Australia's ambassador to Israel to formally convey Canberra's objections directly to the Israeli government.
"I will call in Israel's Ambassador to Australia Hillel Newman and have directed Australia's Ambassador to Israel to convey our views directly to Israel as the Australian government considers next steps," Wong said.
Frankcom was regarded as one of Australia's most respected humanitarian workers. Before joining World Central Kitchen, she worked on relief efforts around the world.
The federal government has pressed Israel for answers since the immediate aftermath of the strike.
Australian officials maintain that real accountability is essential for international confidence in military investigations.

