Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are moving back to Britain to live in a private residence outside London with their children six years after leaving royal duties.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will relocate alongside their two children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet. British media reports emphasize that the move does not mark a return to official duties, as the couple remain private individuals and non-working members of the monarchy. Buckingham Palace has no intention of creating an intermediate status similar to their arrangement when they stepped back in 2020.
Despite their non-official status, their physical presence in the United Kingdom is set to alter the dynamics within the royal family. Their move comes six years after they stepped away from royal life and relocated to California.
Royal family reaction and royal court dynamics
The decision has raised significant questions regarding Harry's relationship with his older brother, Prince William, the heir to the British throne. According to the Telegraph, Prince William and his wife Kate, the Princess of Wales, were informed of the move in the previous 24 hours. However, William had not publicly reacted as of Wednesday evening.
Relations between the brothers have remained strained following their split from active royal life, subsequent public comments, an interview with Oprah Winfrey, and the release of Harry's memoir Spare. Former BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt told PA that the surprise decision may have caused apoplexy for William.
Hunt noted that the move creates the long-term prospect of two rival courts surrounding William and Harry. He added that in the short term, Harry will be able to deepen his reconciliation with his father, King Charles III, while his physical presence in Britain will make it harder for William to avoid a reconciliation.
Reconciliation with King Charles III
King Charles III was informed of his younger son's decision just three days before it was made public. Royal sources indicated that the relocation could provide an opportunity for closer contact between the monarch, Harry, and his grandchildren.
The monarch, who continues to face health issues, has shown a desire in recent years to maintain an open channel of communication with Harry. However, commentators note that the return does not automatically signal a full reconciliation across the family, with the relationship between Harry and William remaining the most difficult issue.
Meghan Markle's role and business ventures
The role of Meghan Markle in the decision has also drawn analysis from commentators. Royal analyst Jennie Bond told Sky News that the Duchess of Sussex may be making a sacrifice for her family, noting that returning to live in Britain may not have been her personal wish.
Bond suggested that the primary motivation behind the move appears to be the couple's children and a desire for them to build a stronger connection with Harry's home country. Meghan is expected to continue her commercial operations from Britain, maintaining control of her lifestyle brand As Ever.
Bond also urged observers to avoid launching fresh criticism against Meghan, reminding the public that she has previously spoken about experiencing very difficult times while serving as a working member of the royal family.
Education plans for Archie and Lilibet
Prince Harry has repeatedly spoken about missing Britain in recent years. In May 2025, the prince told the BBC that he wanted to reconcile with his family, adding that it was really sad he was unable to show his homeland to his children.
Insiders close to the couple stated that a key factor behind the decision was Harry's wish for his children to be educated within the British school system. Both Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet have been enrolled to attend a British school starting in September.
The family previously met with King Charles III and Queen Camilla in London on July 10, marking the first meeting between the children and their grandfather in four years. Archie and Lilibet had last seen the King during Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee celebrations in 2022. The 41-year-old Prince Harry has visited Britain several times since moving away, including a trip to see his father in February 2024 following the King's cancer diagnosis announcement, and a visit for tea at Clarence House in September 2025.
British public opinion and royal history
The return of the Sussexes is expected to divide public opinion in the United Kingdom, where their standing remains complex following years of public friction and revelations about life inside the palace. Harry and Meghan married in 2018 before generating worldwide headlines in January 2020 when they announced plans to step back from royal duties.
Tensions between the brothers were highlighted as early as 2019 when Harry spoke in a television documentary about strains in his relationship with William, while Meghan spoke of the pressure she faced. In January 2020, the couple announced on Instagram their intent to become financially independent and split their time between the United States and Britain. Two months later, they settled permanently in California, ceased active royal roles, and stopped using their official titles.
Public sentiment toward the couple remains low in Britain. A YouGov poll conducted in July showed that only 22 percent of Britons held a positive view of Meghan, compared to 65 percent who viewed her negatively. The same poll found that 33 percent of respondents held a favorable view of Harry, while 58 percent held a negative view.

